Here in the Northeast gardening is in full swing in early spring. Some spring tasks are important to do early in the season, whether you are a beginner or a well-seasoned gardener.
Soil Fertility: Here are the steps
- Want to increase your soil’s microbe population to enhance fertility and reduce reliance on purchased fertilizers? Consider applying compost tea weekly using regular compost, vermicompost, or manure. The key is aeration. (See video on applying compost tea) Apply compost/garden tea
- Add organic matter, such as compost, as a top dressing to your planting beds, whether raised or regular.
- Apply the compost tea to the entire bed.
- Use composted manure, cover it with regular compost and then water with compost tea.
- Remove straw placed on the beds from the prior season. Add it to the compost pile or cover straw with compost and apply the tea.
Other spring task – Start Planting
- Place in the ground your spring crop, like your transplants of cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower among others.
- Plant your potatoes, carrots, lettuce, radishes and all the other vegetables that love cool weather.
- If you ordered or are buying asparagus plants, this is the time to get them in the ground.
- Fruit trees, like cherries, apples, peaches, pears and plums, should be planted in early spring. To catch those spring rains. These are only sold in the spring. When planting, add plenty of compost in the hole.
- Plant all berries, like strawberries, raspberries and ever-bearing raspberries.
- Set up the water bath for birds.
- Get my paperback copy: ‘Garden the Organic Way’ and become an expert gardener. Garden the Organic Way is a comprehensive guide to organic gardening, designed for all skill levels. The book provides methods for growing delicious, pesticide-free vegetables using sustainable practices. https://gardentheorganicway.etsy.com
- Learn about soil microbes, creating black gold and restoring the soil into a fertile ground. Just some of the topics covered on my soil course. On SALE now! great price until February 7, 2024. Soil, The Key to Organic Gardening
- Start a compost pile and learn how to maintain it my videos on youTube Turning a compost pile Longer version with further explanations What happens when turning the compost pile
- Breathe in lots of fresh air; it has been a long winter.